WENA Monthly Meeting, May 12, 2021, 6:00 p.m. on Zoom
Present: Kim Sutton, Brian VanDussen, Barbara DeSerres, Liz Parsons, Pamela Shaw
Secretary’s Report: Barbara DeSerres
– Minutes from the April meeting are available on the WENA website.
Treasurer’s Report: Brian VanDussen
– The check from the Wild Seed Project was cashed.
– Two hosting vendors are being considered for the WENA website.
– The WENA account has a $16,785 balance.
– Annual membership dues are $6.00. Checks can be sent to:
WENA, P.O. Box 7898, Portland, ME, 04112
Available Funds by Source
Less outstanding debits$0.00
Plus outstanding credits
Total Available Funds$16,785
Swim for Life$2,304
1. Community Announcements:
A. Harbor View Park: Pamela Shaw
– A work day is planned for Saturday, May 15 from 10:00 – 3:00. Bring gloves and trowels.
– Bird houses will be installed. Routine weeding and mulching as needed.
B. Winter Street development: Liz Parsons
– The owner of the former monastery has applied for B3 approval for affordable housing.
– The monastery building will be converted to a lodging house.
– Affordable housing will be built on the Winter St. side of the lot.
C. Composting Project: Roseanne Graef
– Compostable materials may be left at the Clark St. Community Garden.
D. Williston West: Kim Sutton
– The former church campus is up for auction.
E. Property Tax Assessments: Kim. Sutton
– week of June 28, 2021 notices for reassessments will be mailed. There will be a 90 day appeal window.
2. Neighborhood Cleanup Day:
Brian VanDussen reported that the event was successful and well attended.
3. Community Policing:
Kim Sutton suggested that the community policing representative meet with WENA to discuss
self defense strategies.
4. Reiche Community Center:
There is no full time Rec. Department staffer at the center. There is great concern about when the
community meeting room will open. It was suggested that we ask for clarification from the Rec.
Department and Spencer Thibodeau.
5. At-Large City Charter Candidates Forum: Sponsored by WENA
Webinar on May 18, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
6. June 9th, 2021 meeting:
We were sequestered for far too long. It’s time to reconnect with each other—in person! Meet under the tents at the Reiche School Playground. We will be there at 6:00 – Come when you can, leave when you must, and share if you would!
July 2021 – No Meeting
August Meeting – Covid metrics permitting, the annual summer picnic will be held at Harbor View Park on Aug. 11, 2021.
7. Meeting adjourned at 6:55.