WENA is a great source of information. Whether you’re new to the neighborhood or a longtime resident, WENA can help connect you with the info you need. Please contact us if you would like to add a resource to this page.

West End Map

Below is a map of the churches, hospitals, schools, and grocery facilities within or adjacent to WENA’s borders.

West End Nextdoor

West End Nextdoor is a private social network exclusive to your neighborhood and neighboring communities. It’s the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world.

Posts range from informing neighbors about crimes (never use it in emergency situations though!), find a babysitter, lost pets, hire a painter, sell that rusty bike, and meet each other!

Join us:


nextdoor join

Report it with Fix It! Portland

Use Fix It! Portland (Provided by SeeClickFix) to report any city service issues to the City. Typically, the City responds quickly and the issue is resolved in a timely manner. Examples of issues include outdoor restaurant seating blocking sidewalks, unshoveled snow or ice on sidewalks, streetlights out, street signage and signals broken, graffiti, and so forth. It covers a lot of issues, so it is a good starting point.

You can use the webservice to report, but it is useful as a app on your phone as well.



Safety & Crime

Emergency: 911
Non-Emergency Portland Police: 207-874-8575
Anonymous Portland Police Tips: Online Form, Text “GOTCHA” plus your message to 274637 (CRIMES), or Phone 207-874-8584 (Learn more about these anonymous services).

West End Specific Concerns:

West End Community Policing Center
Sarah Colton, Coordinator, 207-780-0495

West End Senior Lead Officer, Sector 4
David Argitis, 207-650-8254

Uncleared Sidewalks: 207-874-8493 (City of Portland)
Street Light Out: Breanna Pierce, Central Maine Power, 207-842-2304 – Please provide the (1) specific location of the pole and (2) the pole number (a metal tag at the base).
Loiterers: Property owners and managers may complete this form for the police to keep on file should problems arise. This document is a tool the department uses to help move loiterers along; repeat occurrences may result in arrests. Completed forms may be submitted in person at the West End Community Policing Center, Reiche School; via fax to 207-756-8227; or scanned and emailed to Sarah Colton sarahc@portlandmaine.gov.
Homelessness: If you see someone obviously in need of help, the Homeless Outreach and Mobile Engagement (HOME) Team, part of Milestone Recovery, can be dispatched to assist.



If you have curbside pickup, remember you have to use the Purple Trash Bags.

Trash Collection: Department of Public Works, 207-874-8493
Bulky Waste: Public Service’s Bulky Waste Program
Fall Leaf Collection: Grass, Leaves, & Brush Cleanup
E-waste (Electronic Waste):
Either take to Riverside Recycling Facility using your E-Card or use one of these options.


Portland Parking Administration

Parking Issues: 207-874-8498
Parking Bans: 

Emergency Preparedness

The City of Portland uses a reverse 911 service called Code RED to notify citizens quickly about natural disasters and manmade emergencies.

To learn more and sign up, click here.


Should there be an extended emergency during which electrical power is out the City’s emergency management coordinator recommends going to City Hall or any neighborhood fire station for information. The coordinator also encourages all residents to obtain battery operated emergency radios offering the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather frequencies. Hand-cranked models of these radios are also available.

City of Portland

City of Portland: Great resource for anything dealing with the city. Learn more about services, programs, and schedules.
District 2 Councilor: 
Learn about and contact the City Councilor that represents the West End.
Portland Neighborhood Associations: Find out and contact other neighborhood associations.

Helpful Programs

Hour Exchange Portland: 207-874-9868 – Trade time and talents with neighbors: cooking for painting, carpentry for childcare… you name it!
Adopt a Stop volunteers improving the year-round accessibility and attractiveness
of major bus stops on the Portland Metro and South Portland Bus Service routes.
Southern Maine Agency on Aging: 207-396-6500 – A private, non-profit corporation offering a wide variety of services and programs for seniors and their family members, including Meals on Wheels, Medicare, and other health information, Senior Games, adult day services, and child care assistance.
Maine Tool Library: It’s like a library for tools
Adopt a Block: Help Portland stay clear of litter.
Winter Safety Resources
Click here to go to the Maine 211 website
MEMA’s “Maine Prepares” site here offers information on preparedness kits and safety tips

A list of heating oil companies, organized by region, can be found here

Information on power outages for Central Maine Power (CMP) can be found here, and Emera outage information can be found here.

Information on LIHEAP and Energy Assistance can be found at Maine Housing’s website here


Find out what’s on your ballot. Find your Polling Place. Register to vote in Maine

Oh, Rats!

There were several responses to an inquiry about rats and rat sightings from throughout the West End. Despite Buffy’s best efforts, he can’t do this alone!

Please inspect around where you live for evidence of rats and continue to be vigilant. If you find evidence of their activity, we recommend that you contact a professional to determine the best plan for ridding yourself of these pests.

In general there are three basic steps in rodent control – inspection, eradication and exclusion. Rats operate on their keen sense of smell, so fallen fruits and vegetables, garbage, littered food bits, etc. are all attractive enticements that we need to be aware of and eliminate.

Many of you have already swung into high gear in response to the reports and your efforts are greatly appreciated! Keep up the good work and let’s all work together to control these unwanted rodents.